Friday, July 16, 2010

Lunch w/ Preston and Susie




July 16th - Friday Hot and Humid

Another week is about gone, and it has been another week of intense heat and humidity. As you recall we went to Little Pine Creek to meet Susie and Preston for lunch. All of them had eaten at this restaurant previously and had good memories from the establishment. It is decorated in the rustic cabin style with all of the mounted animals to go along with it. We were the only couple in the dining room and obviously had a waitress that was very new to her position. We ordered salads with different topping; however, Susie ordered a cheeseburger. The food was "alright", nothing to "write home about". One the other side, it was great to have a chance to visit with Preston and Susie. Seems like the time we have to spend together goes very quickly, but we tried to remember everything we wanted to share with each other.

Their daughter, Stephanie has just purchased a wonderful three story Victorian home in Tyrone, and they brought along pictures of the exterior and the interior so we could see what this home looked like. Talk about impressive. I think Lou counted six bedrooms, with several beautiful porches, can't wait to see it in person.

Preston is building a multi-level deck on the rear of his house, and he brought pictures to share with us on his progress. Very impressive for this young man that is a retired art and ceramic teacher. He did all of his plans on the computer that is far above my imagination, but nevertheless very impressive. He is ready to put the decking down, hence the reason for the trip to Williamsport. He purchased a special "artificial wood" for his decking and needed to pick it up in Williamsport. He drove his van to pick up the decking and would need to cut it in shorter lengths to transport it back home. He brought along his chopsaw and was able to plug in at the business and even had a couple of guys helping him along with his dad. Susie and I thought we would sit in an air-conditioned area and wait, but didn't find a spot, so I drove towards the city of Williamsport and still didn't find a spot, so we drove back to the lumberyard as the guys were about finished. Once loaded, Pres and Susie were off to Tyrone, with a promise from Lou he would come down and help Pres put some of the decking down when he was ready. This was wonderful, as Lou had just mentioned he wished he could have been able to help Preston with his deck, so the opportunity presented itself.

Lou and I enjoyed our leisurely drive back home, listening to the February Light book by Heather Trexler Remoff. This was the book about Eagles Mere that I wrote about before. Now Lou understands my fascination with the small tourist town.

Wednesday found us back with the blueberries and we picked almost 13 quarts. We were able to package the majority of them for the freezer, although, I had to save out four cups to make the blueberry dessert that my Susie told me about. This is becoming one of Lou's favorite desserts.
Wednesday night was square dancing and we had a wonderful crowd out. We had three plus squares dancing and once again learned a couple of new things. I am finding more fun in this each week.

Lou and I are so enjoying the view from our kitchen window. This morning, we had eight turkeys playing near the creek with two huge gobblers. While we were watching them, we noted two foxes sitting up on the flat. They were enjoying the scenery also. Lou got me the binoculars to watch them with and being fascinated with foxes as I am, I just simply sat at the table and watched them. Then all of a sudden they both disappeared. They scooted right into a wood chuck hole. Lou was watching them at the same time and both of us were amazed as how quickly they disappeared. We also have young cardinals that are coming to the feeders along wit the young Rose Colored Grosbeaks. it is hard to get our work done for all of the wonderful things happening outside. Yesterday we watch one of my brother's baby calves get his new legs under him. His mommy stayed close by all day long, and kept watching us to see if we were going to render harm.

Tonight is square dancing here and I was able to get all of the grass cut yesterday while Lou was at the dentist and running errands, and now I must get my house cleaned up a bit and finish up dinner. Have a pork roast in the crock pot and I made date pudding for our snack after square dancing and will serve vanilla ice cream with it.

Next week promised to be a very busy week. Lou and I each have dental appointments, going to Preston's one day and driving to Erie to visit my aunt and Lou wants to get up to Horseheads to visit with his son-in-law that just got home from surgery. Sunday I have a part in the worship service, so all in all will be a busy week.

1 comment:

  1. Wow you guys sure do stay busy and on the go alot ! Who is this Aunt you mentioned in Erie ? Is she related to us too ?
    I got mail from Mom today she said you wrote her . Sometimes I wish I was still there .

    ReplyDelete