Sunday, September 25, 2011

Our Camping Weekend













September 25th - Sunday - Sunny

We have just returned from our last SMART Muster of the year. This one was held at White Oak Campgrounds in Quarryville, PA which is about three miles from Strausburg, PA. This is one of my very favorite places in Pennsylvania.

We left home at 10:00 on Thursday morning and arrived at the camp ground at 3:00 pm, it was overcast and much warmer than at home. We were able to get set up and we all met for dinner at a club house close to our campsites and enjoyed catching up on the happenings with everyone since we last met and some of us played games and some played cards and come just chatted. We dined on home made chili that our hosts had supplied and it was really tasty and spiced just right. One of the members brought along cooked rice to put the home made chili over and that was a new one for me, but I found it also very tasty and very filling. For dessert we had carrot cake and pumpkin cake all very seasonable and again tasty for everyone.

There was a beautiful sunset that cast a beautiful glow on the clubhouse and we all remarked that perhaps the weatherman was wrong and we might have a good day on Friday, not the case. It started raining about 11:00 pm and it continued all day night long and all day on Friday. In fact, I never left the RV during the day. I was able to get caught up on the reading of many blogs that I had not had time to read in some time, answered some e-mail that I was behind in and Lou finished a book he was reading and started on a new one.

We did notice that the horse and buggies still traveled up and down the road that went past the entrance to our campground and I shall never tire watching the Old Order Amish. I have great admiration for all of them, it dates back to my Uncle George and Aunt Wilma that lived in Ephrata and they instilled in us their great admiration for them. Aunt Wilma great up in Blue Ball among them and learned to cook as they did and thankfully, many of her recipes have been passed down and we still enjoy them as favorites to this day.

Friday night, we all ventured out in the rain and drove three miles to Hershey Farm Restaurant to have dinner. Some ordered their dinner, as I did and some had the smogs board as Lou did. Both of us enjoyed our dinner. I had roast turkey with stuffing, and Lou had everything imaginable.

On Saturday, it was overcast and I was determined that we were going to do something after spending the money for gas and fee for camping, so I went on line to see if I could get tickets for Sight and Sound to see Joseph and I was fortunate enough to find two tickets at the 1:00 pm performance, so I purchased them and we quickly had a bit of lunch and left and we are so glad that we did. It was a wonderful production. The strange part is, I am reading a book by Pastor John Hagee, Can America Survive, and I am to the part where God gave Egypt to Joseph. Therefore, it all played out together.

Last evening, we had out pot luck dinner, then we played games and cards until 10:00. Lou and I played Rook with the Youngs and had a great time. That was my father's favorite card game, so that brought back a lot of good memories.

I was in hopes that I could see the families as they were going to church this morning; however, it so foggy we couldn't even see the highway, so all Lou and I could do was to pray for their safety as they traveled and we decided to await the lifting of the fog before we left for home.

We enjoyed our trip home and especially the fall foliage, and I couldn't resist taking pictures on the way home. We are off again next weekend and that should be a pretty weekend, where we can enjoy the leaves. Hopefully with no rain.




No comments:

Post a Comment