Monday, May 26, 2014

Our SMART Muster at Strasburg, PA

May 26th - Memorial Day 84 degrees Beautiful Day

On Saturday, May 17th, we awoke to a beautiful sunny cool day and after breakfast, I made my casserole for our Pot Luck Dinner, Lou and I decided we would take a ride to the outlet and pick up a few items that we needed and then tour the Amish countryside.  It was a perfect day to take to the back roads and we enjoyed our day immensely.

The farmers were out in the fields with their horses busy at work.  The alfalfa hay was ready to be cut and we saw a "tedder" being used and neither of  us had seen one of those in years.
This was a boy of about 14 years of age tedding the hay, this would get it off the ground after the rain, so it would dry a little quicker.
We passed one of their school houses while we were driving, of course, it was Saturday and the kids were all at home working.  We saw many of the girls using gas powered weed eater, trimming along the fences.
Horses awaiting their drivers to return from their errands at the store

Sheep at one of the farms

One of the young men using skates to get from one farm to the other.  Note his boots in his hand

Another beautiful farm with laundry on the line

Can't have a trip to Strasburg without seeing the train

The school house that I was writing about

After our afternoon of driving and seeing the sights we were ready to get back to our campground to meet up with out group for our dinner.  We were turning left on a green turning signal when a car came through the light and hit us on the passenger side of our car.  God certainly was watching out for us.  An EMT with the Lancaster General Hospital was on his way to work and he saw the accident and was to our car before Lou could get his door opened.  He sat with me until his buddies arrived to assist me.  They had to use "the jaws of life" to extract me from the car.  My door and the bar between the back door and front door was pushed in to me along with the back door.  I had cuts to my head, elbow, bruises to my leg, hip, knee and ankle.  My neck is the worse and is going to take time for it to heal from the severe whip lash that occurred from side to side.  We were taken to Lancaster General Hospital by ambulance and received excellent care.
View photo in message
This is a picture that Brion took when he went down to get out tow bar for us.


Now we are back home without a car and have been busy trying to find a new car.  We wanted to get one of the new Buick's the Encore, but have found that it can not be towed, so we have settled for the Chevrolet Equinox.  It is too late in the year to order one from the factory, so have gone through a dealership in Harrisburg and they have located one that is very close to what we wanted in Maryland and they will have it in Harrisburg on Wednesday, so we will be renting a car on Thursday and picking up our new vehicle on Thursday.

I saw my own doctor last week and he has referred me to another doctor and I saw him on Friday and he did more x-rays and he told me if I hadn't had such good bones, I would have had a broken neck.  He said that it had broken up a lot of the calcium deposits and certainly things are out of place and he did a laser treatment, but he feels in time it will all work out well.  I certainly have used a lot of ice and I can raise my head up further, so know that I am progressing.    Praise God, it could have been much worse.  Lou did have a chest x-ray on Friday and it was fine also.  More soreness from the seat belt, not cracked ribs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment