Monday, February 20, 2012

Bok Tower - Lake Wales, FL


Rain Shelter showing a squirrel feeder w/ copper roof

Pinewood Estate
Unnamed butterfly


Base of the Tower Sun DialFebruary 20th - Monday - Cooler -w/ low humidity 68 degrees

After taking care of some book work and making reservations for the next week, Lou and I set out for Bok Tower Gardens in Lake Wales, FL. This has been a dream for me since I was a little girl. My grandparents traveled to Florida each winter to visit my aunt that lived in New Smyrna Beach. Grandma brought me a postcard that showed Bok Tower and told me that music came from the tower. I couldn't imagine such a thing. Grandma told me that she could actually hear the music from the bells inside the tower. You see, my Grandma was deaf and wore a hearing aid, so I thought for her to be able to hear the music it must be a real experience, so when Lou told me we would be close to this National Landmark, I asked if we could go. Those of you that know my husband, know he was only too happy to please me and today was the day.

It was the perfect day for the visit, not to cold and not to hot, and for me the humidity was low, so walking the many paths and enjoying the flowers was just perfect. The choice of the day was also perfect, as the concert, in honor of the U.S. Presidents was all patriotic music, starting with the National Anthem, including America, the Beautiful, Yankee Doodle and other familiar songs. The concert lasted for 30 minutes. We listened while being surrounded in the beauty of flowers in bloom and beautifully manicured bed as you can see from the pictures.

The tower that houses the carillon was built in 1927-1929 and is 205 feet high and I thought it was interesting to find that the architect was Milton B. Medary came from Philadelphia, PA. The carillon contains 60 bronze bells that weigh a total of 63 plus tons.

It was a wonderful afternoon and Lou explained to me that it looked a little different when my grandparents viewed it in the 1950's; however, I am glad that I finally got to see it for myself and got to hear the bells the same bells that Grandma heard.

We arrived home in time to hurry to the Clubhouse to hear the "Jam Session" that is held here each Monday night. All of the musicians gather together and each play a song and they play as a group, wow, we were blown away with the "concert". There were at least 25 men and women that played all kinds of instruments and you talk about talent. Joanne, one man played a guitar and sang Gene Watson's song of the Porch Swing, it was wonderful. Losing You, Sunday Coming Down, Orange Blossom Special, Tennessee Waltz, and some polka numbers. They started at 6:00 and quit at 9:30 it was wonderful.

During the break, the couple in front of us turned around and the lady said, Kathy Rice, and darn if it wasn't a couple from home. The Broughts and in a few minutes another couple Pat and Cliff Simonds came up to us, so here were two families from home, that had been here for the winter, and we are to leave in the morning. We had a chance to chat and catch up after the program. Small world.

Tomorrow is moving day and we are off to Arcadia, FL.

1 comment:

  1. that butterfly is called a Zebra Longwing Butterfly. it is native only to Florida and south Texas (in the US)

    ReplyDelete