Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Few Days Closer to Winter









June 27th - Sunday Hot and Humid - 87 degrees

With the passing of June 21st, Lou is always sad, as he thinks we are getting closer to winter. I had never thought of it this way, as I am very fond of fall and was always a huge fan of winter, until I started with Raynauld's Disease and found that my extremities did not handle the cooler temperatures as well. I have learned the hard way, that when the temperature is below 32 degrees, I can not be outside for longer than ten minutes at a time. Lou, Krista and Dr. Nespola have impressed this fact on me many times, and after nearly loosing several toes, I am a believer.

I can not say that I enjoy these hot humid days, and am very content to stay in and find things to enjoy in the central air conditioned house. I have also noticed that DH seems to enjoy the less humid days as much as I do.

Monday found us going back to Sayre for testing and a doctor's appointment. We were fortunate to get in for the appointment on time and were back on the road by 10:30 AM. We wanted to do some shopping, but really preferred shopping in Williamsport, so used the new GPS in our car and drove route 220 to Williamsport. I pulled out the map to see where our new system was taking us and found that we would pass very near Eagles Mere, so I asked Lou if we could make a side trip and he was only too happy to satisfy my longing.

In 2002, I read a wonderful book written by Heather Trexler Remoff, called February Light. She later recorded an audio book by the same name as a gift of hope, encouragement and support to cancer patients and their families. She was a victim of cancer and she tells her story of the ups and downs of her year and with her personal fight with cancer. She was from Eagles Mere and described the area with such finesse, that one could not read or listen to the book without visualizing the wonderful country side that she described, with the seasons that surrounded her "lake" and mountain home. The personal goals that she set for herself and how she was able to succeed in all she set out to do. It certainly was inspiring to me and to several of our patients at that time. One of our patients was so taken by the book and the music that David Vaughn wrote for the audio book, that she got her husband to promise her, if she recovered from her cancer he would take her to Eagles Mere so she could witness first hand the beauty that Mrs. Remoff so aptly described. That dream came true for our patient and she came back to Wellsboro and right to our office to tell me how inspiring the day had been for her. I felt the same way as Lou drove, ever so slowly, through the beautiful country side, so I could visualize the beauty of summer in Eagles Mere. I had my camera with me; however, never took the first picture. I was so engrossed in the beauty and trying to file my pictures in my brain in the proper sequence that I did not think until we were almost to Williamsport that I should have snapped pictures. The pictures I have in my memory and the special day that Lou and I experienced will be with me forever.

On Tuesday, we awoke to rain and high humidity, that Lou suggested we do some research on televisions. We were viewing our programs on a Quasar television that was purchased in 1990, and we were ready to progress to a more modern appliance. After a day of research, through Consumer's Report and many web sites we decided on a 26 inch Vizio.
That prompted a drive to Montoursville to purchase the television. So far we have been very satisfied with the performance. We found it very easy to set up, as we had laughed on the way home, that it would probably be a very late night.

Wednesday, we both worked outside all day, we tied up the green beans, put Miracle Grow on all flowers and the veggies, we found it was soon time to shower and leave for square dancing. Lou and I had worked on me learning "load the boat" for dancing and I was sure I had it correct and the first time the call was called out, I goofed and that blew the whole night for me. This has been a real task for me, but I am determined I will learn these 60 some calls, it is just going to take some time. I know that missing three months of lessons was a huge hindrance.

Thursday, I realized I had been in the heat and humidity too long on Wednesday and stayed in for the majority of the day. Lou took his walk by himself. I fixed a roast pork dinner and had Shawn, Maegan and their four girls in for dinner. By the time we were ready to eat dinner, it had cooled down and we enjoyed our dinner outside on the picnic table. We all made our favorite ice cream sundae for dessert.

Thursday also brought bad news for Krista and her family. She received a phone call that we as wives, mothers and such hate to hear. Steve had been in an accident with the company truck and had been taken to the hospital. After many studies were completed it was revealed that he had a concussion, however, no broken bones, but many bruises of which he realized the next day were more prevalent then than before. They are firm believers that these things happen for a reason and they are looking for those reasons and to learn from them. We wish him a speedy recovery and a return to normalcy.

Friday morning, I baked a blueberry dessert that Sue had told me about and cleaned up the house in the morning, so I could help Lou with the lawn in the afternoon. Our square dancing friends arrived at 7:00 for an evening of square dancing in the garage. I served the blueberry dessert and it was a hit with everyone. Two of the girls took the recipe home with them. I do believe that I have conquered "load the boat", will know better on Wednesday night. Lou and I look forward to our Friday nights with our friends, it is really a good time for all of us and the evening passes so quickly.

Saturday, we awoke with the feeling of relief, nothing planned for the day, the house was clean, the lawn finished, we could take our time and enjoy the day. At 11:00 we fixed brunch and went out on the deck and enjoyed the scenery and our food that we had prepared together. Around 4:00 we decided we would drive to Coolidge Hollow Church and partake of their Strawberry Festival. I think half of Tioga County was in attendance. We met many friends as we were walking up to the church that had already been served and when we entered Fellowship Hall, there were many other folks that we knew, we enjoyed our dinner and chatted with friends until almost 9:00 pm, in fact, we had to hurry to get to the grocery for a few items before they closed.

This morning, we attended church and heard Pastor Keith's last message for a month, as he left for Washington, DC after our service and will be attending school there for a month. We shall miss he and his wife, Kathy, they are such a blessing to all of us. Sandi Hempker will fill his vacancy while he is away, and she also is a wonderfully talented person and we will enjoy her inspiring messages in Pastor Keith's absence.

This next week will bring us July 4th celebrations, and we plan to attend the Bark Peeler's events in Galeton on Saturday. We want to go to Mansfield for the fireworks. Normally, we are involved in a SMART camp out, but their theme was Christmas in July and Lou and I both love the patriotic theme that comes naturally with the 4th of July so we chose not to participate this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment