Sunday, June 13, 2010

Happy Birthday Jerry - First of the Season





June 13th - Sunday - warm and humid


I have to apologize to my brother, as this is a day late in getting posted. Yesterday, his birthday, was a day of no spare time. We went to Sayre to check on our friend after his heart attack, came through Mansfield at 4:15 and were scheduled to pick up friends to go to the Charleston Alumni Banquet at 4:45, no time to change clothes, we did arrive at the Banquet on time. My brother and his wife were also going to go, but due to the very high heat and humidity, it was not a good day for Joanne to be out and about.

Back in 1991 when our dear Daddy passed away, and it was found that our family home and farm has been in my father's name only; therefore, Mother had to pay inheritance tax. At that time it was decided that Mother should make arrangements to insure the family homestead would stay in our family. My brother, Mother and I met with our family attorney and it was decided that the farm would become the property of my brother. I had told my brother that I would not have a use for the farm and a wise choice that was for me.

Upon my mother's death four years later, Jerry took the decision my mother had made to heart, he has nearly completed the task of bringing the home we grew up in up to date, has made two apartments and rents them out. In fact, my daughter, Krista and her family live in the downstairs apartment. This was a godsend when her father was in the last stages of his life. She would come whenever I called to lend a hand.

Jerry has kept the barn painted and in good repair as he has with all of the farm equipment. All machinery is under cover, something that my father had always insisted on. My brother has cleared land that had become overgrown with the multi-flora roses that plague us in Northern PA. The hedge rows are all cleared of the overgrowth as are the pastures. He puts out crops much like Daddy did when he was actively farming.

He has 2o some Hereford beef cows with baby calves that Lou and I get to enjoy, as you can see from the pictures, they graze on the pasture that is to the rear of our home. The view we have from our kitchen window is the side hill where the cows and calves partake of the luscious green grass that grows there. There is a creek running at the bottom of the hill that affords many memories to Jerry and myself along with our kids and grandkids. It was always a special place to play and Lou and I still enjoy walking along the creek. From our kitchen window, thanks to Jerry, Lou and I have watched foxes chase rabbits, the deer bringing their baby fawns out for their first nibble of green grass, the pair of wild geese that come back each spring, along with the Mallard and Merganser ducks, flocks of wild turkeys, visits from the black bear and yes, the Bald Eagle, not to mention the wide variety of birds that frequent our feeders.

In his spare time, he keeps the grass cut and trimmed at the homestead along with the entire fencing of the property minus the few fence posts that Lou and I trim. His property reminds me of the Amish farmlands, as every aspect is thought of and cared for. I can not tell you how many times a day, he drives his little red car past our home to go from his home, that is located on property that Mother and Daddy gave he and Joanne soon after they were married, about a quarter of a mile from the homestead. Sometimes, he has the misfortune of needing to leave a tractor at the barn and needs to walk home. I always think when he walks, he can really take time to enjoy all of his toils.

Jerry, I know Mother and Daddy would be very proud of all of your accomplishments. Reminds me of the story in the Bible where we are commanded to "take care of" what we are given. My brother certainly has done that and I don't know who enjoys his accomplishments more than Lou and I do, as we await the birth of six baby calves.

Happy Birthday to my one and only brother.

1 comment:

  1. Kathy ,I love your story about Uncle Jerry , You are sure a great writer, you should write a book about family as you know it from when you was younger up to now .I love to read your post and your letters to Mom .

    ReplyDelete