Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day - Roses





June 20th - Sunday - Father's Day - Beautiful sunny - 87 degrees

Seems like with the businesses of this month, I am only posting once a week, and this has been another busy week, as with most folks right now.

We used Monday as a catch up day, and I was able to accomplish many jobs that had just been put off until there was time. It was time to spray the roses and get ready for their first bloom. I also decorated my lighted plant boxes for summer with bird houses and pine, to resemble life in the forest.

One of our friends from square dancing gave us many different colored day lilies to plant, so Lou and I found spots for all of them. Susie had given me some yellow ones a few years ago and we have enjoyed them, so now we will await the new ones and hope for different colors.

Tuesday, was a day devoted in its entirety to the RV. Lou and I took Estee and set off for his house and Preston drove up from Tyrone to help us. The roof had not been waxed for five years, so I suggested to Lou that we take my floor polisher and use that on the roof, after a few scowls and questions, he thought we could give it a try. It worked like a champ. Preston applied the wax, Lou used the scrubber to get it into the surface and then changed buffers and polished it. Great Job!! Preston left for home, so he could get home in time to bowl and Lou and I decided we had to wax the rest of the RV and wash the windows, and we knew it was supposed to rain on Tuesday night, so we stuck to it. I was able to get the inside cleaned and the carpet shampooed while Pres and Lou worked on the roof. As soon as we finished, Lou took the RV to the barn and it is now undercover and awaiting us for our next trip. We arrived home around 7:30 pm and we were two pooped folks, but very glad to have it done, especially when we awoke during the night and heard the rain.

Wednesday was another busy and unusual day for both of us. Lou went to his friends house, as he had been having problems with his gas furnace and Lou promised to help him find a solution to his problems, and he did, but it took the majority of the day, and while they were awaiting parts, he helped him take the flywheel out of his tractor. Then Lou, being the good guy that he is took items from his sister and our house to recycling, another good job done. While he was doing that I ran into town and ran errands and got our groceries. Lou was able to install the new parts for our grill and we celebrated by grilling a steak for dinner.

Thursday, Lou went to his house to cut grass and I tackled cleaning our garage. I finished that job about 7:30 that night. Was able to get new carpet installed in the ceramic area. That is another hard job, but always glad when it is finished. Would be so much easier if I didn't insist everything in its place. Guess I can blame my mother for that, but am glad that I learned that early in life.

Friday, we were up early and Lou back to his house to cut more grass, run the weedeater and such and I started cleaning our much neglected home. Was making good progress when Lou called me at 4:00 pm and told me that there were three couples coming at 7:00 pm to square dance at our house. Thankfully, I had baked a chocolate cake and had that in the freezer, so with some good team work, we were ready and waiting for our guests at 7:00 pm. We danced in the garage and I was ever so glad that I had cleaned it. The garage is air-conditioned, so it was the perfect place to spread out and have a good time. In fact, we are going to do that every Friday night for a while.

Saturday we were again up early and baked a peanut butter pie for my grandson, Travis and a coconut cream to go along with it. We had invited Susie, Tim, Travis, Noell and Wyatt over for dinner, as Travis will be leaving for special schooling with the Marines tomorrow and will be gone until September, so knew it would be out last time to see him.

Lou was back at his house, using the weed eater and raking grass that was too long, by the time he arrived home at 4:30, he looked beat and was exhausted. He couldn't get enough to drink and finally had a shower and a rest and got revived a bit, but still suffered with painful wrists and fingers.

I fixed a roast beef dinner with mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, cauliflower w/cheeesesauce, fresh fruit salad, sticky pecan rolls and banana bread, all things that he likes, as it has to last him until September. It was a nice evening and we were able to eat outside. Wyatt was practicing drinking from Mamma's glass and got cooler off in that fashion, and enjoyed a bath in Grandma's bathtub and off to home and his bed.

Sunday, Lou and I were greeters at church today, so we knew we had to get around quickly for church, I read the scripture for the service today, from I Kings, and we had special music of a mother and daughter that sang a medley of old hymns, and then a reception after for a couple that were celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary. Lou and I stayed long enough to wish them well and hear their love story and we were off to Sayre to meet Lou's family for dinner. Every one attended with the exception of Preston. Lou ordered Prime Rib and said it was delightful. His family presented him with a double bag grass catcher attachment for his John Deere. Brion and Casey had it already installed on his tractor, so when he cuts the grass from now on he won't have to rake it, that certainly will help his hands and wrists.

So you can see from our activities it has been a busy week. This week looks like another busy one, and we need to give our garden some attention. I did spray our squash and pumpkins, as the bugs are eating them.

This week will be a week to enjoy the roses, they usually have their first bloom around Father's Day and isn't God wonderful, he is always on schedule. Must be a lesson to be learned there.

No comments:

Post a Comment