Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Dinner with Friends




August 1st - Sunday - Showers off and on

Lou and I were up bright and early on Sunday and quickly did up what we needed to do as we knew we would be gone for the majority of the day.

We attended our weekly church service and due to the fact we have a bridge out between our house and our church we need to travel about 12 miles to go the normal four miles to church. Seems like we forget about that until we are about to leave, then find we must hurry once again.

Our sermon was on "stuff" that we gather here on earth and our pastor told us that she didn't think she had ever seen an U-Haul hooked to a casket, thought that was food for thought. After cleaning out several homes, after a death, I try to be very careful about the amount of "stuff" I hold on to and my new husband has a problem with the things I take to Goodwill, as he thinks I might need it sometime!! I just remind him that my kids aren't going to have the mess to sort through, if I can help them while I am alive I intend to do so. This became very clear to me after the death of my husband and after his body was removed from our home and I looked around at everything we had both worked hard to achieve and all of a sudden it no longer mattered, the one thing that did matter was what was awaiting him in Heaven and I knew God in all of His goodness had a special place prepared for him. The "stuff" no longer mattered and I went through my things at that time and gave away many things that I thought the kids and my friends would enjoy using now, not after I was gone and I am ever so glad that I did. I have seen first hand how estates, money, belongings and treasures bring out the worst in people and if I can do anything now, to prevent this from happening while I am alive I intend to do so.


After church, we drove to Lamb's Creek Inn ( a wonderful restaurant in Mansfield owned by Nell Rounsaville, a special friend of mine from Wellsboro) to meet one of our SMART couples and their son and his wife from Troy for brunch. I had not met their son and his wife, but soon found them to be as delightful as their folks. I don't know where the two hours went, but we sat and chatted the whole time, as we enjoyed all of Nell's special foods. This is a buffet that is served each Sunday and it consists of many foods for breakfast to a full dinner. The desserts are to die for and I always save extra room for them. I kidded Lou about coming back the first time with creme puffs, and his comment was he wanted to make sure he got at least one.

As we were telling each other goodbye, we walked through Nell's unique gardens and enjoyed her water displays and flowers that are so expertly maintained by her staff. It is truly an enjoyable place to visit, but do plan to stay and see all that is available.

No comments:

Post a Comment