Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hand Thrown Pots



August 10th Tuesday - Hot and Humid

I mentioned in a previous post that Krista had been down to work on ceramics in our garage. The pictures above show the story.

When Lou and I went to Tyrone to help Preston with his new deck, I spotted hand thrown pots sitting by his work shop and inquired as to what they were for and Preston told me they were left over from a project that he had done for one of his sisters and then he went on to tell me if I wanted them I could have them. Well let me tell you it did not take me long to sort through them and discard the ones that were badly broken and put the rest in a plastic container for the ride back to Wellsboro.

On the way home, Lou asked me what I was going to do with all of those pots, actually 62 pots made that trip to our garage. I told him I was going to glaze the insides in clear glaze and on the outside I was going to paint each and every one with a different color, so we could see what all of the paints looked like. The reason for this is, I bought out a Ceramic business several years ago and Krista and I have been buying paint whenever we would find it some from Goodwill, some from The Salvation Army and yard sales and some we have purchased new from our supplier.

Krista likes to pour the molds, and I usually clean and do some painting, and we both load the kiln, but due the my late husband's health and then Krista's cancer we have not been able to do much in the ceramic line. I guess these little pots got Krista going, as she took it upon herself, to paint them after I had run them through the dishwasher and fired them once to remove any traces of mildew or soil. We came up with the idea of not glazing the bottom of the pots, but would give each pot a number and add that number to the jar of paint used on the sides of the pot, and take pictures of each pot with the jar of paint after they were fired the final time.

You can see the results of mostly Krista's labors and Lou's and my enjoyment in seeing the finished product. Thanks to the hand throwing of Preston, each pot is different from the other. This is a project that united two families with a product of love that can be seen.

Now we are coming up with all kinds of ideas of "what to do with the pots". I know four of them are going to have dirt added to them and I am going to plant herbs in them, so I can have my herb garden when we travel this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment