Tuesday, September 14, 2010

National SMART Muster -3-









National Muster Day - 3 -

September 10th - Friday Partly cloudy and cool

The official opening day was Wednesday and it was a very busy day for all concerned. Lou spent two four hour shifts checking in rigs and parking them. The entrance gate is some distance from the parking area, therefore, the guys and gals are using golf carts and bicycles to direct the rigs to their proper site.
I believe the final count is 190 rigs.

You will note at the opening ceremony it was cold and windy, the temperature was 62 degrees and the wind was gusting up to 35 miles per hour. I was thankful that I had my ear muffs and blankets as we sat in the stadium.

I have had several very interesting cases in the First Aid Center than I man on a four hour status. One other nurse mans the station for the other four hours and we will see patients in our rigs the other 16 hours. The majority of mine have been in the rig and Lou has handled it pretty well until last evening, when a gentleman in his pajamas knocked on the door and stated he needed me in a hurry, his wife was very ill. The girl has just had a pacemaker implanted for atrial fib. Something that I am all too familiar with. I left the rig in my nighty and barefoot, and found the patient vomiting stating that her heart was out of rhythm. After reassuring them that we had no way of making an accurate diagnosis of atrial fib without an EKG we decided the best thing was to get her to the ER. Thankfully, the patient had a list of her medication with her along with the last hospitalization discharge notes. Can’t stress how important this is for any one that travels. A complete list of all current medications and how they are being taken and the latest notes from your primary care physician and a recent EKG are so helpful to a new physician.

As the husband programmed the GPS with the address of the nearest ER, I washed the patient up and changed her nighty and dressed her warmly for the ride and they were off. We had phoned the ER and they had felt pt could be driven in as easy as an ambulance could be sent out. Thinking this was probably more a viral thing than atrial fib.


Finally, back home to an anxious husband and dog, I again washed up and was ready for bed. Knowing that Lou and I had breakfast detail and we had to be up at 4:00 am and to the kitchen by 4:30. Was a very short night, but all in all a life that we both enjoy.

We met up with five other couples at 4:30 this am, and I had made two pots of coffee here at home to take with us, so we could all enjoy coffee as he readied breakfast for the 400 people that would ascend on us starting at 6:00 am. All went very well and I do believe everyone was satisfied with their breakfasts.

Realizing at 8:30 am that poor Estee was still inside, I rushed home to get her out and there she sat at the entry way with her head down and I knew I had waited too long, we didn’t scold her, just cleaned up and Lou and she set off on a walk, while I prepared a pot of tea and a scone. Both of us realized we hadn’t eaten breakfast, just drank some coffee……

Lou had to travel with the 50-50 jug and tickets, so he went back to work and I cleaned up the RV and got ready for my turn at the First Aid Station at 1:00 pm. I checked in on the two patients that I had been monitoring rather closely and both are improving. The gal that went to the hospital last night was kept and was found to be dehydrated, so IV’s were started and they will keep her tonight, they increased her medication for atrial fib. As a precautionary, but felt that now she was experiencing diarrhea, that it was a viral thing and would be easily solved.

Tonight Lou and I are looking forward to the entertainment, as our SMART friend Bill Zinnert, will be presenting his program of “show and tell” of the history of the flags and the uniforms for all branches of the service dating from 1632 to the present. Bill and his wife Joan were one of our camping buddies in Key West last winter. Very special folks to us.

The pictures of the valley were taken on Wagoner Road, the elevation was about 1500 feet and the view was wonderful. Lou and I escaped yesterday after my shift ended at 1:00 and drove to Carlisle so I could get a new ID card and this was a view we had on the hour and half drive from Centre Hall to Carlisle. We arrived home just in time to go out to dinner with our friends June and Steve Bahr. We ate at Whistle Stop, which is an old rail way car converted into a lovely Victorian Restaurant. The food was excellent, and we all enjoyed barbequed chicken and ribs. June and I finished our meal with a delightful cheesecake.

Now it is time for me to be off and take care of whatever comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment