Thursday, October 14, 2010

Changeable Weather





October 12th Beautiful early and then..............

Lou and I have been using the great weather as a time to get some of our odd jobs done for the winter months, not knowing that winter was approaching so quickly.... See above pictures.

Lou spent the day at his house cutting the grass and doing a few things that had long been neglected.

I took advantage of the good weather and got our grass cut and the weed eater run, and then feeling bad to think I hadn't even purchased any mums to plant for fall, went for a walk around our yard and found many items that would look good in our plant boxes for fall, surprising the beauty that is just awaiting some attention.

After the great feeling of knowing the house was all fall cleaned, I worked on the outside. Got all of the windows outside washed and scrubbed both decks and the sidewalks. Worked on the windows in and outside of the garage and ran the sweeper in the garage and mopped the floor, so things were really looking up. I got the leaf blower out and blew all of the leaves away from the back area. Estee and I were watching some black clouds approaching so I quickly grabbed the clothes from the clothes line, as big drops started to fall, followed by the hail stones that were about the size of a pea and they just kept coming, then the rain fell, I believe Lou told me that we received over an inch in the hour.

I had fixed a baked ham dinner with fresh winter squash and homemade apple dumplings for dessert. We both enjoyed our dinner after all of the hard work and cooler temperatures.

The next day, while Lou went to a friends house to help him with some paper work, I went to work in the kitchen. This weekend Lou and I along with our friends June and Steve are in charge of the SMART Muster in Adamstown, PA. I made two crock pots of homemade bean and ham soup along with 12 dozen home made baking powder biscuits to have with the sausage gravy I made for our breakfast. I also stirred up a batch of peanut butter cookies for Lou. He loves his cookies after each meal, so try to keep fresh ones at all times. Good thing I enjoy cooking and baking, and I have missed having the time to do it in the summer.

We had our great-granddaughters come after school to pick out their pumpkins to carve. This seems to be a tradition that was started when their parents were little, and it has just carried on. Lou and I had purchased a special winter squash in North Carolina last year and it was so good that we saved the seeds and we planted this year and they grew to be numerous, so Lou harvested them this week also, so now we just have to clean up the vines and await spring to start over again.

Now we are off to Adamstown in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment