Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Update -2-

October 29th - Wednesday - BEAUTIFUL FALL DAY

It was much too nice of a day to spend in the hospital; however, I was glad to do so to be with Lou. I went to the hospital very early this am. When I arrived I found that he had lost most of his tubes and such. He still has the IV for additional antibiotics.

He was able to get himself washed this morning and to change his pajamas by himself, but by the time he was finished he was ready for a rest. He had a delightful student nurse today and they took a liking to each other and she couldn't do enough for Lou and me. After Lou got ready for the day, she made each of us a cup of coffee, so we were able to have coffee together.

Dr. Nespola came in around noon and told us that he wasn't impressed by the lab work. The numbers are not coming back to normal as quickly as he had hoped. He is awaiting the sensitivity for the urine culture to find if he is using the correct antibiotic. We should have the results of that tomorrow. He ordered physical therapy to start tomorrow, to help Lou regain his strength. Everyone that I have told that to today, questioned why he would need physical therapy. There is a formula used in the medical field and it is for every day a healthy person is in bed, it will take three days to recover. Hence, the reason for the physical therapy. I know Lou was disappointed, as he felt he would come home today. I honestly don't think Lou realizes how sick he was. So he may or may not come home tomorrow night. Dr. N won't see him until after office hours tomorrow, so that will be late.

Now tomorrow there will be more blood work to check his numbers and if they are beginning to raise and if the antibiotic treatment is the drug of choice, he will be able to come home on oral antibiotics, if not he will need to stay longer.

One of the nurses came in today while the dietitian was there and asked her to order a guest tray for me for each of Lou's meals, she told her I was the one doing the nursing and that was something they could do for me. So tonight Lou and I were able to eat our dinner together. He is in a semi-private room; however, they have avoided filling that bed to give us the room and privacy and we have both enjoyed it being a little quieter.

This is the first time I have had a family member in our local hospital since my mother died ten years and I am very impressed with all of the folks. Perhaps, it helps that I know most of them, I know we have many notes to write when Lou returns home.

Thank you again for all of the phone calls, prayers, cards and Kris the homemade cookies were wonderful with a cup of tea this evening. It was hard to save some for Lou tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment