Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A walk around Lewis Lake - MacDill Air Force Base

March 12th - Wednesday - Thundershowers - 77 Degrees

Yesterday was a wonderful sunny day and we decided it would be a great day to take a walk around Lewis Lake.  We had read in The Air Force Times that work had been done around the lake and we were anxious to see what had been done.  Lou and I had always enjoyed walking around the lake and Lou had told me about the many times that he and Edna had walked the same area before it had grown up so much.

Anhinga
They have cleared out so much of the over grown brush to make viewing of the wildlife so much easier and it was a delight to take it all in.  We took two hours and enjoyed every minute of it.  It was the perfect day to walk and we sighted many different bird.  We left home at noon and returned a little after 2:00; so some of the birds that we normally see were not visible.  We hope to do it later in the afternoon later in the week.  I enjoy the Spoonbills and we didn't see any of them this time.  They usually come in later in the afternoon.
This Osprey nest can be seen from our bedroom window, we can see as least one baby and maybe two.
One of my favorite birds to watch is the Anhinga.  I can usually spot them in the trees with their wings spread out.  They go fishing, then they get up in the tree and spread their wings to dry them off.
Anhinga
The next picture is a closer view of the Anhinga sitting on a fence.
Anhinga
I couldn't resist taking some pictures of some of the wildflowers that we saw as we walked along, some are so different from the ones that we see at home, and I am sorry, I don't know what their names are.
Add caption

Add caption
Thought they were pretty, even if I don't know their names.  The next picture is a vine that grow, the red berry, is after the seed pod has opened the red seed is very hard with a black top, we could not break it open and it doesn't appear to be something that the birds eat, as we could see where new growth was beginning to grow.
Wouldn't this be pretty in a winter bouquet?
Last evening we went to church for a dinner and to listen to an interesting talk by a couple of missionaries from Brazil.  Speaking of Church, we went to church on base on Sunday and heard a wonderful sermon from I Samuel regarding  David, the service was almost two hours long, but it was totally amazing and we both came away with notes that were very thought provoking.  God has provided us with some wonderful messages during our journey this winter.

Tomorrow, I have an appointment to get my haircut and get a perm.  I am much overdue and have been waiting for this special operator here at MacDill to have my hair done.  I had my hair cut very short before we left Pennsylvania and have decided that I like it this way and will keep it short.  This operator at MacDill had suggested it the last time I was here, so am anxious to see how she does it for me.

On Saturday we are going into Winter Haven to meet Cheryl and Rexa for the afternoon, and we are looking forward to that.  Busy times ahead.







No comments:

Post a Comment