Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pennsylvania Grand Canyon

Sunday - September 28th - Sunny - Beautiful Fall Day

Lou and I have been working hard getting our fall outside work done.  My large plant box that Al built for our back deck was beginning to deteriorate on the inside so Lou decided he would rebuilt the inside and install a liner to protect it.  He removed all of the dirt, let it dry out inside then rebuilt it and installed the liner.  Today I purchased new potted mums to plant in the planter.
Lou putting in fresh dirt, ready for the new mums
I have been busy decorating for fall, a job that I thoroughly enjoy.
Our f aux window at the back of our home

I have orange and yellow lights in the tree above the pumpkins

Back deck

Lou has been digging a ditch down by the barn to divert the water away from the barn in the spring.  Brion is going to bring pipe up to us in October so we can finish that project, and hopefully that will take away the excess water that we have every time we have excess rain.

Lou has been busy filling in low spots with dirt the landscapers had left over this spring.  He has broken up many of the large rocks and hauled them away, all of this make cutting the grass easier for us.  With the improvement of my arm, I have been able to use the weedeater and I have cleaned up the ditch when grapevine from next door had taken over, so that all looks so much better.  This has been a very good work week.

I was able to finish cleaning the garage and have gotten the garage floor scrubbed and purchased a gallon of epoxy to give the floor another coat of that tomorrow.  Lou filled a couple cracks today, and it will be ready for the epoxy tomorrow.

We used the chain saw yesterday and trimmed up the  honeysuckle yesterday and that was a great improvement.  Krista has been coming down each afternoon and helping me with my flowers, we have everything cut down with the exception of the Autumn Joy.  Matthew plays with his Grandpa and rides his bike or car on the drive way and we all get to enjoy the beautiful fall days.

Last evening we all received a horrible shock, my brother sent Krista and Steve a letter of eviction, they have rented our farm house for 17 years and he and his kids have decided that they want them to leave, so they are going to have to find a new place to move quickly.  We were all shocked and hurt, as Lou and I have come to depend on them to be there to help whenever, as they come at a moments notice, they have always kept my driveway plowed and so so much more, and I can't imagine not seeing Matthew every day.  Michelle grew up here, as did Krista after she was eight years old.  I certainly am glad my father is not alive to witness this sad occasion, as he would be very hurt.

After our week of hard work and the sadness of last evening, Lou suggested after our church service at Charleston Baptist Church we take a ride to the Canyon and enjoy the colors and do some hiking.
Incinerator used with the CCCamps

Tribute to the CCC Workers

Taken from the Look Out Trail

It was a great afternoon, the trail we took, was over a mile and we both did well with the walk.  We had enjoyed an early breakfast with Brion and Janet prior to picking up some supplies and more mums at Lowes; therefore, we were ready for dinner this evening.  Lou grilled hamburger and had potato salad to go with it.

I spent some time talking to Michelle this evening, as she is terribly upset and doesn't know what to do to help her parents at this difficult time.  Many prayers are needed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment