Thursday, December 17, 2009

Traditions

Kathy was disappointed that she hadn't gotten the picture she wanted for this mornings post, she wanted to get one of square dancing last evening, but we were having such a good time it was forgotten.

This morning, after waiting for her granddaughter to come down to set up her nativity set, she started to put it out herself and I suggested that she use this for the post. She set it up and I got the camera out and took the picture and now she can explain the history behind it. I'm off to get "her" Buick inspected.

DH had a good idea - As many of you know my mother had a ceramic shop for years, so she poured the character for our set, and the the other grandma, Grandma Bryant painted the characters and they presented it to our children for Christmas in 1968. My late husband build the stable from wood that came from our barn on the Rice Farm in 1981. After Michelle was born she took on the task of setting it up each year, and she has done so every year with the exception of this year, and I probably would have waited for her this year also; however, we are having guests for dinner tomorrow night and I hated to have a vacant stable.

When I decided I wanted to get back into ceramics and bought a lady's business, Kris and I thought we would pour another nativity set, we soon found out we needed a little more practice pouring before we would tackle this, all of the cows, donkeys and sheep have ears, horns and legs that have to be poured and attached to the bodies. Krista is the one that has the pouring down to a fine art, and has had really good luck. She is looking forward to feeling better next year so we can get back into the ceramics and use the many things we have purchased to enjoy our mutual hobby. Our kiln, pouring table and the majority of our molds are all set up in my heated garage. The perfect setting for both of us. We found out that Lou even likes to paint and hopefully we can use him to help us pour some of the heavy molds.

Now I must get busy, have a big day planned, the sheets are awaiting me to get them on the line. Lou told me this morning, he had a mental imagine of the RV going down the road with a clothes line attached and the sheets blowing in the wind! Reminds me of the time I was cutting the grass and was in a hurry to get this job completed, I had someone go by me and blow the horn and motion to the back of the lawn tractor. When I looked behind me, I had a pretty pink sheet trailing, I had pulled it off the clothes line as I went under the line. I quickly pulled it off the tractor and got it back in the washer with a little bleach. I could write a book of my experiences of cutting the grass. In fact, Dr. Nespola told me, while I was working for him, that I should write all of the experiences down. He alone knows what I went through the year after Al died, as I learned to do the things that he had done. I thought I had learned it all in the nine years that I had taken care of Al, but God had other plans!! I'll tell you the tales of the varmints someday.

1 comment:

  1. I think I just had my good laugh of the day picturing you Grandma going along on the tractor with a pink sheet trailing behind... :o)

    ReplyDelete