Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Four Days at Fort Campbell, TN KY














Fort Campbell

We were on our way to our campsite near Lake Tahl, when we looked up and saw a familiar red Mustang with a familiar service man waving at us. It was Spencer, to accompany us to our campsite. He helped Lou unhook the car, and then he and Lou were off to check out the “motor pool” before it closed while I got the motor home ready to live in for four days, all went well, with the exception, that I did not have any electricity, so I lit a candle and enjoyed the quite and watched the duck play in the creek.

Lou and Spencer soon returned along with the rain and found the problem with the power supply and got the rest of the necessities hooked up and we were off to one of Spencer’s favorite Steak Houses (Charlies) and was it ever good, we all came away with full tummies, not only were the steaks huge and wonderful, the baked potatoes were also huge, no one had room for dessert.

We made an early night of it and were glad to be in bed by 11:30 and made plans to be ready to tour the base by 10:00 am on Saturday morning. It rained hard all night long and when we awoke Saturday morning, the creek by where we had parked was nearly over the bank. We braved the weather and Spencer drove our car and we took a driving tour of the base and I took many pictures of the huge base. He took us to the area where he had taken his special Air Assault classes. This base was the home of the 101 Air Borne Division, and on the last day we had a quick tour of the Museum which was very interesting, and I would love to have had more time to have spent there, and that should have been something we should have done the first day then we would have understood why the street were named as they were. Next time we can do differently.

We went to Spencer’s house and met his house mate, James and Lou got to try on his bullet proof armor and decided it was a bit heavy to carry around for very long.

Saturday night our young soldier was off with his buddies from college to Nashville, so Lou and I went shopping at the Commissary and enjoyed a night of leisure.

Sunday, I fixed a home cooked meal for all of us, thinking that Spencer didn’t get home cooked food often, I fixed a pork roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, fresh broccoli, apple sauce and cranberry muffins. Think every one enjoyed the change. We all enjoyed visiting in the evening.

Monday, Spencer and Lou had lunch together while I got caught up on our laundry and of course, Spencer was back at work. He stopped back after he finished with his duties and we went out to dinner at a new chicken place, or at least new to Lou and me. Zaxby’s, it was a wonderful meal. Lou and I both had Blue Chicken Salad, and it was so tasty. Grilled chicken salad with chunks of blue cheese in it and blue cheese dressing. After that Spencer drove us around some more of the base we hadn’t seen until it got dark and then he helped Lou hook the car up ready to pull out this morning.

There are many other pictures that I could post, but probably shouldn’t go overboard with them. I know that I enjoyed my four days with this young man more than I can express. I have never had the chance to get acquainted with him before and have come to have a great respect for him in these four short days. Besides that he went out of his way to make sure his “gramps” and I had a good time and saw everything that time permitted. A great four days thanks to Spencer.

No comments:

Post a Comment