Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A New Site At MacDill





March 5th - Monday 46 degrees - Cold

We certainly had a change in our weather, from weather breaking highs on Friday to thundershowers on Sunday to 46 degrees this morning to a very bright sunny morning. We are very thankful that we have not had any of the severe weather that we have seen in Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky. Our prayers go out to those people as they try to pick up their lives and go on with life.

We did get to move into a temporary spot on Saturday, so we now have water and electricity and that was sheer joy for both of us. We were able to go to the dump station before we went to our new site and therefore, we both enjoyed a shower and the air conditioner on Saturday evening. We have a lovely view from the rear of our RV and great neighbors, a relatively young couple, a marine and his wife that has recently retired from Camp Jejune. They are originally from Oregon and this is their first time to be at MacDill. We have enjoyed becoming acquainted with them.

Saturday afternoon, I took advantage of the beautiful day and did our laundry, I love doing laundry here, they have great HE washers with a pre-wash cycle on all washers and great clotheslines, so I hang most all the clothes on the lines and always a great breeze, so the sheets, towels are wonderfully soft when I bring them in, I love it just like being at home. Washing is only $1.00 a load, which is cheap for most laundries. Most are $1.50.

We attended church at the Fam Camp church yesterday, as we usually do while we are at MacDill. The same retired Lutheran pastor is still here and he does a tremendous job bringing an inspiring message each Sunday. Yesterday message was on Jesus visiting to the well of Jacob’s with the woman of Samaria, he had a bit of a different slant on the old familiar story. On how the Good Word had been in Samaria for seven years prior to the arrival Peter ? I need to do some extra reading on this, and he didn’t give any scripture for this. Will make a good Bible study for Lou and me, as we had been looking for a challenge and this will be a good one. Lou and I still talk about two years ago and how we really dug into the book of Mark and learned many hidden details that we didn’t know, so now this will be fun.

After church, Lou and I usually go out to breakfast, but had not been fortunate in finding a place here that had a good breakfast, but decided we would try once again, and we did find a place, it was called Mamma’s and for once, there was something on the breakfast menu besides eggs, for those of you that know me, know I do not like eggs, they had chip beef gravy on biscuits, along with sausage gravy, and corned beef hash, grits, fried potatoes, Greek omelets among their vast array of other things. I decided on chip beef and gravy on a home biscuits, it was huge and delicious and more than I could eat. Lou decided on a Greek Omelet with fried potatoes and rye toast and the coffee was delicious. We had to wait in line, outside in the sunshine on comfortable benches, for a few minutes, but it certainly was worth every minute.

After we ate our breakfast, we asked if we could see the lunch and dinner menu and I do believe we will be going back. Prices were very reasonable for homemade food.

Today is the day we pick up and move to Lazy Days in preparation for Driving School for me tomorrow. I had hoped to review some of my studies prior to going, but we have not had any internet coverage and limited telephone, so that has not been an option.

Guess, that brings us up to date on the happenings on us. I have recently learned about “my-fi” here at MacDill and will have to check into it, from what I understand, you pay for it and use it while you are here, so perhaps that will be the answer for getting on line here. They have “hot spots” here, but with so many phone, I-pods, I-books, etc using the “hot-spots” there is never room to hop in a spot. I am hoping I can post these items while at Lazy Day

1 comment:

  1. Hello Kathy,Good to see you guys back on-line again. I sent you an e-mail awhile back.
    I know you probably already have plans but I did ask if you wanted to come this way before you head north , however I have no idea how long you plan to be in this area ,I am leaving in the AM (9th)with Waylon (grandson) we will be at Mom's until the 17th or 18th. If you still want to meet, let us know ,you can e-mail me or call Rexa .
    Glad you are enjoying your visit to Florida again , I always love to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete