Wednesday, March 7, 2012

RV Driving Class


Campsite at Lazydays
March 6th - Tuesday - Beautiful day - 82 degrees w/ great breeze

Last night was spent at Lazydays RV Park in Tampa. We arrived at our campsite around 3:00 pm, and got set up on a lovely site; however, we were very close to our neighbors. The sites were very nicely manicured with green grass and beautiful trees and shrubbery.

Once we were settled, Lou and I walked to Cracker Barrel for our dinner, which was lovely. We each ordered our favorite southern foods. I chose country ham with fried apples and green beans and Lou ordered a sampler platter which consisted of country ham, meatloaf and chicken and dumplings, fried okra, turnip greens and a shredded potato casserole. For dessert I had my favorite, blackberry cobbler and Lou had the biggest strawberry shortcake I have ever seen. After all of that was eaten, we needed the long walk back home. It had really cooled down after the sun went down, so we hurried back home, which was about a thirty minute walk.

We decided we would shower and enjoy our books last evening and get a good nights sleep in preparation for class the next morning. With our campsite came a complementary breakfast and lunch and we knew my class started promptly at 9:00 am and we had the same walk to do over again.

We arrived at the huge cafeteria at 8:00 am, where we met up with our neighbors, that we had recently met at Lazydays. We ate breakfast which consisted of scrambled eggs, pancakes, sausage, juice and coffee. We enjoyed chatting with our new friends from Arizona until it was time for me to get to my class.

Upon arrival to my class we found that Lou could join me in my class. The class was taught by Barney Alexander who has devised a Dot System to make driving a RV easier. I think he even made a believer out of Lou. The classroom work was a review of all of the work I had done on line in preparation for the class with many other items added to it.

We adjourned for lunch and walked back to the RV and quickly packed up everything and walked Estee and drove the RV back to the parking lot and made Estee comfortable while we returned to the cafeteria for lunch of a huge chef salad and rolls and iced tea.

After lunch we went to the driving course to do the part that I had dreaded for months…… We used the RV that belonged to Lazydays, which was a 39 foot Fleetwood Diesel. It was an obstacle course with cones and many other NEW RV’s in the lots to drive around, a little on the scary side. There were 10 of us to drive. Well, I didn’t hit anyone or anything and I have a feel for pulling out and making turns to the right and to the left and how to back into a site. I am really amazed at how much we both learned in the eight hours of instruction. I feel really confident and know that I can handle the task at hand. I was very surprised to find out if you have a blow out, you accelerate at the time of the blow out. That was just one of the many things I learned. Time very well spent and I got my certificate!! Praise God!!

Now Lou tells me that he wished I had signed him up for the course also, so next year that will be on our list of things to do. He now wants to put the dot system to use on our motor home, so Barney did make a believer of Lou.

As you can see we didn’t have internet service at Lazydays, so tomorrow I am going to purchase the “MyFi” from MacDill, enough of this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment