Saturday, July 6, 2013

Shelling Peas



July 6th - Saturday 89 Degrees and Humid

Today was the Johnson's Family Picnic at Ives Run and Lou and I are always invited to attend and we very much enjoy of day with Brion's family.  Some of the family I knew before I married Lou and the rest of them are all new acquaintances.  Janet and  Brion spend a lot of time preparing for this annual event with helping hands from the rest of the family and lots of food to be enjoyed by all who attend.  They rent the Stephen Foster Pavilion which is located next to the creek, so the dogs and the kids have lots of fun in the water.

Janet and Brion's garden is much ahead of ours and they are always so kind to share the wealth with us. This year they brought us fresh peas from their garden and after we got home from the picnic,I was shelling the peas and was reminded of  years ago when I was a kid sitting on the front porch at home with mother, daddy and my brother and we would be shelling peas and my folks would say if we found a pod with nine peas in it we should throw  the ninth pea over our right shoulder and make a wish.  Do you know there are very few pods with nine peas in them.  It sure made the job of shelling peas go much faster.  Suppose that is why they told us that??

No comments:

Post a Comment