Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Getting Ready

November 112th - Tuesday - 27 degrees, snowy and windy

I was a little late getting my breakfast this morning.  This was the morning that Lou meets with his retired buddies from Schweitzer and he was up and out early, so I followed him out and cleaned the sidewalks and decks.  It didn't take long before I realized that the snow shovels were still down in the barn, I tried to use the leaf blower to blow the snow off, but it was frozen down, so it took a little longer to complete the job.  I even had to use salt on part of the drive way, as it really wasn't safe to walk on some of it.  Hope this isn't a sample of what is to come.

I was glad that last night before I went to bed, I did something that I used to do when the kids were still at home.  I put oatmeal in my small crock pot, added a chopped up apple, some cinnamon and brown sugar and let it cook all night, so I had hot oatmeal when I came in from the cold.  Certainly tasted good.

I spent yesterday in the kitchen preparing food for the freezer to enjoy after my surgery.  I made a double batch of bread, sticky buns and cinnamon rolls with raisins.  Froze five quarts of applesauce, did apple slices in a sauce that our family is very fond of, two pans of apple dumplings and a double batch of white bean chicken chili.  Thanks to Krista, I had to borrow several ingredients from her, as my baking supplies were low, but she is always well stocked.  Certainly seemed good to be able to spend time doing those kinds of things.  Now that my house is clean, I feel like I can do the things I enjoy doing them.  I did a double batch of gingersnaps as they are Lou's favorite cookie.  I still want to do chocolate chip cookies and snickerdoodles, but need to get to the grocery store first.

I am baking a ham for dinner tonight and have asked my brother to eat dinner with us then I will have the ham to do several casseroles that I can freeze for later.  Jerry is still having a rough time, and it seems like everyone thinks he should recover from the death of his wife quickly and those of us that have been through this know it takes a long time and actually I don't think you ever "get over it".  You just learn to live with the loss.

Yesterday when I went to Krista's to borrow new yeast, Matthew went to his room and got his shoes and brought them to me, he wanted to come home with me, this was new for him, so he came home with me and played while I baked my bread and stayed for about an hour, and he was ready for his dinner and I walked him home after dark.  I had rearranged our living room and put a toy chest out for him with toys for him and he was delighted to find all of his things ready for him.

Lou received many phone calls on Veteran's Day, all to wish him well wishes, which he certainly appreciated.  One was from his grandson in Afghanistan, actually that came on Sunday, and he was able to talk to Spencer for over an hour, then we brought up his location on google maps and Lou really enjoyed being able to see exactly where he was.  Lou is recovering from a fractured rib, so he has been spending his time inside working on his slides.  He had a mishap while cleaning the spouting on the garage.  It is a touchy subject, as he wasn't supposed to clean it, as I always do that one, and we had made a deal......  Steve had offered to help him on Friday, but no Lou would do....... did someone mention stubborn???

Yesterday we saw something that I have never seen before, we were eating lunch and watching the birds in the feeder and looked at the flat behind the barn and saw a huge flock of birds eating where Jerry had corn, usually they are blackbirds, but they looked to be the wrong color, I told Lou they looked like Mourning Doves, we went out on the deck for a closer look and that is exactly what they were, as far as we could see.  The field is seven acres and it was covered with Doves.  Never thought of taking a picture, just was amazed at the sight!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment