Thursday, May 6, 2010

Beautiful Day in the Country


May 6th - Thursday Thundershowers last pm w/ 1/2 inch rain - Sunny and very breezy today - High 68 degrees

After several phone calls this am we were finally off for our walk. Today we did three miles and covered some territory that we haven't walked before, I had missed two days due to my cold, so I was ready to sit by the time we got back home.

I sat long enough to change from my walking shoes to my work shoes. We were back at the garden again; however, after the rain last night it was too wet to plant and Lou wanted to finish the fence around the garden. He had an appointment at 2:00 this afternoon, so we didn't get finished.

While he was gone I started the push mower, (Shawn your little fix worked just fine thanks again for you work)and cut as much of the area that Lou couldn't cut with the riding mower, we still have some pretty wet spots around the barn. After I finished that I got the hated weed eater out and started around the many fence posts and the building and on to the bank. I worked until 5:00 when Lou came home and it will take me at least another three hours to finish up around the barn area before I can start on what we have around the house. As people travel by our home, they don't realize how much area we have behind our house and down the steps leading to the barn and tack room. Sure looks good when it is all finished.

Last fall Lou and I decided we would break up some of the large rocks that we mow around, to make mowing a bit easier. Kris and I had tackled some of them the year after my late husband died, but it was a pretty hard job and then I worked on splitting some of them up also. This spring Lou has decided to do something constructive with them. We have had wood chucks move in this spring so he is breaking up rocks and stuffing the holes full and if they did out we are going to bomb them. I could write a book on my adventures with the varmints here on our little farmette. In fact, Dr. Nespola drew me a couple pictures depicting some of my adventures. A single woman living by herself learns how to do many things in many different ways some of which I do not care to repeat. Estee has been a good companion on some of these adventures.

It was a wonderful day to dry laundry and I had my lines full, they all smelled so good tonight and we are anxious to crawl into the fresh sheets tonight.

Janet and Brion had given us a beautiful burgundy gourd bird house at Christmas time, so today, I used my trusty step ladder that Krista bought for me and climbed up the weeping cherry tree and hung the new bird house. We will be able to watch it from the kitchen window. So far we have a bird house full of blue bird eggs, a robin nest in the barn, tree swallows in a house, chickadee building in a house and phoebes near the tack room. Still haven't seen the wrens. All are interesting to watch, and I try to post my findings with Nest Watch at Cornell.

No comments:

Post a Comment