Sunday, May 2, 2010

First Anniversary and Garden




May 2th - Sunday Beautiful sunny day with a brisk breeze

Before I comment on today, I wanted to tell about our last night camping on our way home. We camped literally in a barn yard; however, we did have electricity and water, and a huge price ticket with the stay. This camp ground was an hour from Washington, DC and the reason we did this, is due to Ron. He and Lou have been friends for years and he called us as we were coming up the road and asked us to try and stop for the night near Washington, as he wanted to see us. So we did what he had asked.

We arrived at the camp grounds in a down pour, we had to drive around the barn to get to the "house-office", after Lou paid for the night's stay, we drove through a herd of beef cattle to get to our designated spot and pulled into the camping spot. He quickly hooked up the water and electricity and called Ron and told him where we were. Wondering how in the heck this man would find us. Thanks goodness for GPS, he found us.

Keep in mind ladies, I had been sick for two days, couldn't speak out loud, fever and all and DH suggested to this stranger to me, he come out to the RV for dinner, and I would whip up a country dinner for all of us. The only comment I made to DH was, that the thin ice had melted. As I started searching in our once stocked cupboards for what I was going to fix guests for dinner, DH decided it was a good time to "powder his nose" in some outbuilding in the pasture.

Out guest arrived before DH returned from his trip to the potty, so I graciously introduced myself to this gentlemen, that is with Home Land Security through out the United States, Germany, England, you name it, thankfully, he turned out to be a wonderful gentlemen and I throughly enjoyed my evening with DH and Ron and look forward to many more evening with he and his wife. By the way, I prepared barbecued pork sandwiches, potato salad and coleslaw and we had homemade strawberry shortcake with whipped cream for desert, along with desert coffee all served on glass dishes. I used my beautiful hand quilted table cloth that my sister made for me.

Today, being Sunday we were back to our own church at Whitneyville, and what a welcome we received from everyone there, made us both glad to be home. Something very special about that church family. Tomorrow night is Bible study and we are ready to get back into a group Bible study.

A friend had cut our grass while we were gone and he stopped on Friday to chat with us and told us of all of the activity on Reese Hill with the new gas wells and told us we needed to drive up and see what was happening, so after we went out for breakfast after church we drove up and circled Reese Hill, what a surprise to see pads all constructed and lines all laid ready to start the process.

Lou was able to get our grass cut on Friday and ran the weed eater yesterday morning. I have done something to my back and need several more days of medication before I can tackle the weed eater. I started to use my push mower and found a piece had a broken weld on it, so Shawn came over this afternoon and he and Lou got it back in working condition. So if it doesn't rain tomorrow will need to do some trimming.

Saturday was our first anniversary and it was hard to believe all of the people that remembered it, we received many beautiful cards and several letters from family members. We celebrated the special event by going out to dinner and then on to do some shopping for new items for the RV. We didn't finish, but we have a good start on the things we wanted to get. We have our first muster in May, so want to get it all done before that time. It seemed good to both of us to be able to pick out something that we both liked and would get to enjoy together. This year passed very quickly and both of us thank God daily for the opportunity that He gave to each of us.

Tonight, we were on the back deck watching our geese ready to take to the sky and we went to look at our garden site and Lou has decided we need to enlarge it and have more items in it, so that is on the job list for this week also. I think it will take him another week to get through the local newspapers he missed while we were away. His thoughtful sister, has saved all of them and they are in perfect order, just like she never opened them. She is a remarkable person of which I love dearly, she has accepted me with open arms and can't do enough for either of us. A true Christian lady.

The picture of Lou is of him planting onions in with my pansies on our back deck. That is a trick I learned from my Uncle Pete, as soon as the plant boxes thawed out in the spring, he filled them with onion sets, and I have always done the same thing, but this year, was a bit late. DH thinks it will be fine, so he set them out tonight. Will be a little green with the pansies.



1 comment:

  1. Gonna be honest w/ you Lou planting onions in the pansy's bothers me

    ReplyDelete