Sunday, May 30, 2010

Catching Up










May 30th - Sunday Beautiful sunny day with bright blue cloudless sky

I just noted that it has been almost a week since I have posted. Guess that tells it all, we have been covered up with things that had to be done.

The aunt that Sue and Tim were caregivers for passed away on the 24th of March. Aunt Hazel Hammond was 95 years and certainly lived a full life, she was a world wide traveler, a registered nurse, graduating from a medical school in Boston. She ended her professional career as a surgical nurse to Dr. Bair here in Wellsboro. It was sad to see her picture in the Wellsboro paper where she had been chosen "resident of the year" for Country Terrace, the same week that she passed away. She was a remarkable lady and such a Christian encourager to me through the difficult times as I was caring for my late husband. Several of the posted pictures are of our immediate family that were taken at the dinner following the funeral.

Lou and I made a trip to the Bath VA for his yearly physical there, that was a hard trip, as I had awakened with a migraine and vomiting, so we drove up and returned home quickly. That was the only day I missed working in the cemetery in Whitneyville. Lou and I put in some very long hours, some nights not eating dinner until 9:00 pm, but we did finish. Sad thing was that as we were finishing our work, the lady that cuts the grass came and cut the grass without a mulching mower and sprayed all of the monuments, so I went back over each and everyone and swept them again. I told Lou I was on first name basis with many of the folks buried there. Do believe that Lou is ready to give that job up, and it seems this is a current problem with many local cemeteries, no one wants to volunteer their time, and the cemeteries are out of money. Even paying help is hard to find, so don't know what the answer is going to be.

Lou had an appointment with his attorney on Wednesday, so I used the time he was gone to get my grass cut, it seems like it is growing overnight. I had to put the blades up and cut in first gear and it still piled up.

Speaking of "piling up"..... Lou's family paid for lawn care for his yard every other week and last week the grass did pile up when they cut it, so we went to his house yesterday and I raked every inch of his front yard and we hauled away more than enough grass to fill his mulch bed, after we finished that, he recut the front yard and I raked it again. By the time we returned home at 8:00 pm I could hardly wiggle. We made a tossed salad with grilled chicken, had a shower and went to bed, it was a hard night to sleep, sore muscles and cramps for both of us.

Thankfully, today is Sunday and we try not to work, try to relax and enjoy the day the Lord has given us. Brion and Casey came up from Camp Hill to visit with Brion's dad, and they went with Lou and I to the Fly-In Breakfast at the local airport. The guys couldn't have asked for a better day, the planes just kept on coming, we had a huge breakfast, viewed the planes and chatted with acquaintances and left for church, arriving just in time not to be considered late. Lou got to renew some acquaintances in church this am, some older members attended from out of town. One lady had come to attend her 65th high school reunion.

After church, Lou and I set out for Riverside Cemetery in Knoxville to visit my grandparent's graves. After spending so much time in cemeteries, it was nice to visit one that someone else was responsible for. I was pleasantly surprised to find flowers at my grandparent's grave. I am guessing that cousin Connie made the trip over.

After the cemetery we ate at the restaurant that my brother and sister-in-law took us to for my birthday. Bear Track Tavern, what a great meal we had, I had been hungry for good spaghetti and chicken, and Kelly had the best, only it was huge so brought half of it home. Lou ordered scallops and steak, which he couldn't eat all of his either. We split a delightful piece of homemade strawberry pie. We left feeling satisfied physically and mentally, as the restaurant is decorated like my home, so we always feel so comfortable and at home there. The bathroom are the best supplied of any I have ever seen, you can want for absolutely nothing.

After dinner, we went for a ride and did we ever, we toured the Beachwood Lake area, where I haven't been since Susie and Scott were young, I used to take them there fishing after dinner in the evenings and when the mosquitoes would get bad, we would build a fire. Lou had never been in that area, so we got out the Tioga County map and did what Susie and Tim do, we just explored. I know Tim doesn't use a map, but DH has to have a map and a compass. We say some beautiful sites and came home feeling like we were refreshed. Now tomorrow, holiday or not, it is going to be a work day again. We both have yards to get cut to start with.

Next week promises to be a very busy week also, I have an appointment with Dr. Fox on Tuesday and our new car has an appointment for installation of mud flaps. Wednesday is square dancing, and we are in charge of refreshments and it is also baccalaureate, so we will go to square dancing early and prepare, then come back after baccalaureate and clean up. and Friday is graduation and Saturday Preston is coming to help Lou scrub up the RV on the outside and I am planning on getting our house washed down while he is gone doing that. Once again a busy and fast paced week for our family. It is hard to believe that Michelle is graduating this year and has been accepted to Elizabethtown University where she will major in Biology and Pre-med. I missed seeing she and her boy friend dressed for the prom, I was still at the cemetery working, I think this is the one and only time I have missed such an occasion of any of my grandkids. Thankfully, Krista took pictures that she will share with me.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete