Monday, October 14, 2013

Corn Harvest Time

October 14th - Monday

This is a picture that I took on  Saturday of my brother harvesting the corn that has been growing on the flat behind our barn.  He was able to plant it early in May,  hence it is ready to harvest earlier than most of the fields around us.  We have enjoyed watching it grow this summer and some days it seemed like we could really watch it grow during the day.  The only thing bad is we miss seeing the creek.

Today it was been cloudy and not the best of weather to work outside, so I have been cleaning out the registers and closing up the central air conditioning for the season and thinking about Scott and how much I miss him this time of the year, as he always loved this time of the year and as I walked through the kitchen I looked out the kitchen window and as I did there were two deer enjoying the lush green grass along the freshly harvested corn.  I quickly grabbed Lou's old camera and snapped a picture of them, but you really have to look hard to see them.
The deer are between the post on the deck
On Saturday while Jerry harvested the corn, Lou and I worked on putting up a new trellis for our bittersweet vine to travel along on.  Dale Martin planted it for me about seven years ago and it has grown well, but it has really out grown its spot and we didn't know just what to do, as it has broken over a post that was holding it up, so it was a major undertaking. We started early in the morning and when the sun went down we still had not accomplished the job, we have the new posts in place but have not gotten the trimmed bittersweet tied back into place.  Will have to wait for a nice day to complete the job.
You can see why the post broke off
I had suggested to Lou that we use the chain saw and cut it all down and let it come back up new, but he wanted to just cut out the old stuff and keep the new and he methodically cut and separated it so once it is completed it will look nice.













1 comment:

  1. Today is the first day of Archery, and Small Game season down here.

    ReplyDelete