Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Last Rose of Summer

October 24th -  Thursday -  Chilly with a few scatted snow flurries in the air

Finally with a threat of frost in the air, I decided to pick the beautiful red rose that was Al's favorite rose.  I had thought we had lost the bush this year, but hated to give up on it so dug out around it, gave it an extra dose of Perkins fertilizer and and watered it frequently and it did come back and did well.  It was planted by the back sidewalk, so he could enjoy it as he came in the door and Lou and I have certainly enjoyed it over the years and it is a beauty, aptly named Black Velvet.

My plans for yesterday got changed due to illness with the great-grandchildren, so I took a chance and got an appointment with the orthopedist physician and he thinks I am going to need to have additional surgery to my shoulder, which did not please me, but I do realize that I have to do something about the constant pain that I have had since the last surgery.  He sent me to have a MRI and it took five tries before that could be accomplished as the shoulder has spasms due to the pain and they are hopeful that they were able to get some shots that will show the problem.

I am now going to tackle my fall housecleaning as best I can in preparation for the upcoming surgery.  I started on kitchen cupboards this morning.  Thankfully, the majority of my work is done outside and I can assist Lou is what needs to be done outside now that we have had or will have a killing frost.

With the cooler weather, I have the urge to have an oven dinner, had Lou bring in an large chicken last evening and am going to bake that this afternoon while I clean cupboards and do a sweet potato casserole and a new cauliflower recipe that I just found that has fresh cranberries in it.  I called my brother and asked him to come and eat with us, but no luck again, can't get him to come out, think I will just fix him a plate and give it to him tomorrow.  I remember those days all too well and we keep praying for him.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment