Sunday, September 15, 2013

Project - Barn

September 15th - Sunday - Sunny - Beautiful Day

We have had a few busy days and interesting days in our family.  Poor Matthew has been sick with a bug and his family has had little sleep, but Michelle has had good news, she is going to play the part of Effie, the murdered wife, in the upcoming play written by Thomas Putnam titled The Trial of Walter Goodwin. This is going to be performed at the Mansfield High School next weekend.  Our family went to see the production the first time Hamilton/Gibson presented this play to the public back in 2001 and it was presented to us in the Tioga County Courthouse, which made it all the more believable.

I had heard this story all my life, as Daddy told of his father seeing the wagon go past his house with Mr. Goodwin's body in it on its way to the Hills Creek Cemetery.  Effie was the sister to our Uncle Charlie Copley and of course my maiden name was Goodwin.  Daddy also told us that the Taylor lady confessed to the murder prior to her death and if that were so Mr. Goodwin was hanged innocently as he had said all along.  Needless to say Michelle is excited to have a part in the play and she will be the ghost.  Lou and I had purchased our tickets before we knew she was going to be in the play, so we are all set.

Michelle also had the pleasure of singing the National Anthem at First Arena prior to a sports event on Saturday and she was pleased with than experience and felt she was able to do a good job at that.  As a grandma I am glad to have her use one of the gifts that God has given her.  She is back in college and back to her busy schedule.

Now about our barn - Kris and Steve were scraping the paint and found some Tl-11 that had some bad spots, so Lou and I felt we had better replace some sheets.  I called around and found the best deal on lumber was with Russ Giles in Wellsboro and found that he would even deliver it, so we figured out what we needed and ordered it and he brought it right over and we went to work.  I had helped Al build the barn and felt I could help Lou with the repairs, but my arm is really causing big problems again, but I did what I could and I was surprised at what I remembered on how we did originally, we worked all day yesterday, replaced some 2x4's , 1x6's, and got a sheet of T1-11 put in, still have more to do, but have a good start.  Have more scraping to do, but hopefully, we can get it painted before it gets cold.


1 comment:

  1. Aunt Kathy , I remember you telling us about Walter Goodwin ,but I guess I did not catch everything you said . I wish I was able to see this play.And hear more about Him and how he was related to us.
    It makes me proud that Michelle is in the play and also sang the National Anthem and I know you and Krista have to be really proud of her !!

    ReplyDelete