Wednesday, January 13, 2010

January Thaw?


A friend of ours just gave us a new thermometer, and with it being so cold, Lou had not hung it up anyplace. He stuck it in our plant box on the back deck, and we have enjoyed comparing it to an existing one throughout this cold spell. Lou was getting ready to leave to help a friend with a carburetor on his tractor and he noted the current temperature. We both agreed it wouldn't be a bad day to do some out side things, before the next cold spell comes.

Lou was off to help with the tractor, he had already walked his two miles while I was in town for my appointment. I decided it would be a good time to scrub up Estee's dog kennel and wash her bed we keep in the RV and have them ready to go. I also scrubbed up the mats that go in the Colbolt, so that will be completely clean when we return from the south. Everything is drying nicely on the back deck.

The apple butter smelled wonderful this morning when we got up so couldn't resist the temptation of making baking powder biscuits to go along with our homemade soup for lunch. I have two pints that I canned to have for later also. My granddaughter-in-law is hosting a get together the end of January for our family. Our last time to see each other before we go south, so think a pint of the apple butter would make a good hostess gift. With four little girls, it should disappear quickly.

I have made another new recipe for dinner, Beef and Mushroom Lasagna. Needed something quick for tonight, as our dance lessons begin promptly at 6:30 pm. I made tapioca pudding for desert.

In the picture of the thermometer you can also see my brother's cows. Last evening when I was walking, I could hear his voice and realized he was speaking very gently and soft to the cows. Here they had gotten across the creek, I assume, over the ice and were very leery about coming back over to get into the barn. He smooth talked them into coming across and into the warm barn that was awaiting them. I know Jerry takes after my dad, as Daddy didn't like to see animals or machinery outside. So in the winter the cows are inside and snuggled down in a bed of fresh straw. In the summer, he keeps them in during the day, away from the flies and outside at night.
A good lesson for all. I tell Jerry that Lou and I are the ones that get the enjoyment of watching them each day, as Jerry lives down the road from me and can't see them from his house. We always look forward to the new babies being born in the spring. Once a farm girl, always a farm girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment