Friday, January 15, 2010

Teddy Bears

A girlfriend brought me an early birthday present. Everyone that is close to me know that I love bears and sheep. When my sister was here a year ago, she walked through my house and counted teddy bears, she counted 55. Lou just told me that he counted them some time ago and came up with 59. Tonight I thought I would count them myself and I came up with 62.
I remember the first comment I made that brought the first teddy bear. I mentioned to my older daughter that I would love to have my own teddy bear and that year for my birthday, she gave me a beautiful brown soft and cuddly teddy bear. On the bear, she had put a crocheted off white collar that she had made. So I could blame Susie for my collection, but that would be very unfair. Krista has also brought me many teddies also. Each one is unique and not without great memories.

When I grew up I had a teddy bear that "santa" brought to me, but like most stuffed animals back then, this teddy was filled with a sawdust material, nothing like what we see today. Now days, who can resist the soft and cuddly teddy bears? I can not. I have purchased many teddy bears and have taken them with me to visit a special person in a nursing home. I have never given one to a patient that the person has not ended up cuddling the bear. I sincerely think they fill the need to be held close and loved. After my late husband died, I slept with a special teddy bear each and every night and teddy filled the need I had until I married Lou.

How about it girls, can you remember your first teddy bear?

2 comments:

  1. Daddy bought the first teddy bear before i can even remember... but the first one i remember being bought for me was a beige bear i saw at Elderbeermans (I think) and simply told Daddy "that's a nice bear" and he picked it up and placed it in my arms.... I also remeber seeing you give him a "look" when i told you he said i could have it then you said "hes a soft touch"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few teddy bears that are near and dear to my heart as well. The one that I have had the longest came from my great-grandmother.

    ReplyDelete