Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sweet Smells

We were right, we did get our exercise shoveling snow again. Darn the wind was sharp today. The birds were out of feed and suet. Lou and I have been mixing peanut butter with cheaper seeds and filling up the holes in our hanging log for the woodpeckers and the nuthatches . We have moved the feeders to the outside of our kitchen window and we are certainly enjoying the birds as we eat our meals, or linger over coffee.

Today after lunch of a wonderful fruit plate with cottage cheese, we decided we needed to use up the spy apples that were left from the bushel we had purchased in late fall. Lou helped me cut them all up before he left to help a friend with his bookkeeping, and while he was gone I made three cookers of applesauce and have apple butter cooking in my crock pot.

I tried something my daughter, Susan does. I cooked a package of cranberries with each batch of apples. It make beautiful applesauce and a delightful taste. I think we need all of the antioxidants we can get these days. I have frozen most of the applesauce and hope to have some to take south with us.

For dinner tonight I made a delightful new soup recipe. Toscana Soup, which is a potato sausage soup. This is similar to the soup that is served at the Olive Garden, but Lou thought it turned out better than what he had before. It was very tasty and really hit the spot after being out in the cold air walking.

Krista has had two radiation treatments and she told me this evening when she was down, that it has made the skin on her back very tender. Other than that no complaints. She has been very fortunate to have volunteers to take her each day and she tried to have her dinner started before she goes, as she knows this is going to be a very tiring ordeal.

Tomorrow morning I have an appointment in town and tomorrow night is square dancing. It looks like the weather is going to warm up and we are in hopes we can get the RV inspected during this warming trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment