Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Being Tourists


March 1st and 2nd. - Monday and Tuesday - Warm 70 low 78 high with strong breeze.

We have spent two days being tourists and I had typed up all that we did and I don't know where it went, my computer usually saves as I go along, but have been trying to do laundry as I have been posting, so anyhow all was lost, so will try to start over and include what I had written before.

We started out Monday morning by visiting the Little White House and I found that very interesting. The building was built in 1890 by the US Navy as a home for the base commander and paymaster.
It has been used by six of our American presidents, the longest user was President Truman and his wife and daughter. The last president to use it was President Clinton. It made me feel a little older as it was furnished as it had been for President Truman and it reminded me of the home I grew up in, right down to the fabric in the living room draperies and the sofa.



After completing the tour of the white house, we walked to an Irish Pub (Finnegan's Wake) on Grinnell Street. They had every kind of beer on tap you could think of and Lou chose a beer from Holland and found it to his liking. I ordered coffee and when it arrived it was a large mug of Irish Creame Coffee and I loved every sip of it. I ordered a mini Reuben open faced sandwich and Lou felt he need a bit more so he ordered the Captain's special Reuben and when it arrived it was on a platter, served on grilled black bread just absolutely dripping with cheese and mile high freshly sliced corned beef. It was served with potato salad and a huge dill pickle.


You can tell by the look on Lou's face as we left the restaurant he was pleased with his lunch.







We then scurried home to scoop up Estee and head for Big Pine Key to see if we could spot some of the little deer that live on that Key.

They are protected and roam freely. That event made our day very special. Estee loved the deer and they were very interested in her.


You can see from the picture how much delight Lou got from watching the events as they unfolded. Was a nice trip, and only about 25 miles from us. We also stopped and walked into the woods and saw an alligator and interesting birds. Needless to say, we held onto Estee!!

As we were coming home, we were able to view another of Key West's sunsets.

Tuesday - Awoke to sunshine and 72 degrees outside, so thought we surely would have hot temperatures, so Lou and I set off to ride the Conch Train, for a tour throughout the Key; however while we were on tour, it clouded up and the rain came down, thankfully our conductor supplies ponchos with hoods for all of us and we kept going, and before we were done, the sun came back out and the breeze blew the humidity away. We were able to view many types of "gingerbread" on the houses and learned the name of lots of the trees and flowers.

Kris, I took the picture of the house with purple just for you, and I can tell you it was really beautiful. The homes are all white, pink, purple, blue all pastel colors that are so well kept.

Tomorrow is going to be a catch up day, have to clean up the house and give Estee a bath and I have huge amount of ironing to do. Thursday we are planning on a late lunch with two couples that we have met here, so that is something to look forward to. DH wants to get a haircut also. It is going to be very hard to leave here on the 10th, we already have plans for days up to the 9th, and that is a special breakfast at one of the uppity places. DH told me tonight that he doesn't want me to cook dinner anymore, we are going to hit the local places. I really have enjoy cooking in the RV and imagine I will still do some. But will enjoy a break.


No comments:

Post a Comment