Sunday, February 7, 2010

AIRPLANES - OLE SHAKEY

Feb. 6 - Saturday

We are at Warner Robins Air Force Base in Georgia. The temp was 46 degrees at 10:15 am. Certainly glad we arrived before the storm. Lou’s daughter sent us a picture of their home this morning with 23 inches of snow. Certainly made Lou and I glad that we had left a day early, or we would have been in the thick of it.

We had several phone calls from our southern friends wanting to know where we were and if we escaped the snow. Nice to have caring friends and family.

This morning we Lou, Estee and I went for a long walk after breakfast, the wind off the lake was cold so we hurried right along. After I curled my hair, we took Estee in the car with us and did a driving tour of the base and out to look for the house that Lou and his family had liked in when they were here. We had assistance from a young fellow that we talked to and he “googled” the address and we were within a few blocks of the house. Lou was pleased to see that it had been given good care, took a picture to show to the kids and we grabbed a sandwich at Wendy’s and brought Estee back to the RV.

Lou and I set out for a visit to the Aviation Museum. It was huge and Lou sort of dragged me through the many hangars, it was absolutely fascinating and I could have spent the whole day there. Lou did get to see his old plane. He called it Ole Shakey, which was actually C-124. It has been brought back to the base to be refurbished. I was amazed at the size of it, was huge. I was also amazed at Lou’s ability to name off every plane he saw without looking at the name pads. Not only did he know the name, but he can recite whatever information you wanted to know about the plane. I have spent the last year listening to all of these stories and it was so fulfilling to see what he was talking about. It is like living with a history lesson each and every day and I love it all. We stayed until they closed at 5:00, and then home for dinner.

I used some of the left over baked turkey and gravy, fixed some fruit and cottage cheese along with more fresh broccoli with lemon sauce.

Tonight we caught up on some odds and ends of things that needed to be done in the RV and we plan to leave early in the AM and

No comments:

Post a Comment