Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cool Day - Baking Key Lime Pie











February 25 - Thursday 55 degrees and very windy

The wind blew hard all night long, with gusts up to 35 miles per hour, some of our neighbors pulled their slides in; however, DH didn't think it would be necessary for us to do so. He, as always, was right we fared well.

I fixed us a late breakfast, my own version of eggs mcmuffins. Lou was pleased with the final result and wondered why I had never done that before. So may have to try it again soon.

After breakfast we set out to make a Key Lime Pie from scratch. The first evening Lou and I ate out we ordered Key Lime Pie and split it and it was much different from what we get up north, so I did some research and found that Key Lime Pie is not made from the green limes we see in the grocery up north, the true Key Lime is tiny about the size of a walnut and more yellow than green. The ones we used today were grown in Mexico. We needed to have a half cup of juice and pulp, so it took Lou a little time to soften and squeeze the limes. I made a shortbread crust, and after cooking the filling, I baked it in the oven and then it has to sit in the refrigerator for six hours prior to cutting it, so desert for tomorrow night.

I actually have spent the day cooking and baking. I fixed barbecued pork chops, a baked sweet potato, fresh spiced apples slices and brocolli for dinner and we finished up the pudding from last evening. Oh, I forgot, I baked blueberry muffins to go with our dinner.

I will try to remember to take a picture of the pie tomorrow night, before I serve it. We didn't get to play out today, so tomorrow is the day, if it isn't as windy. Estee has been abit strange today, and it gave us a chance to watch her a little closer. Lou hates to put her into her cage when we go away, so he has been letting her have the run of the house and so far no accidents. She hasn't left his side in all day, he took her for a short walk today and seemed alright outside for a short time. Perhaps we have tired her out with our long walks, usually Lou ends up carrying her back part way.

DH is awaiting my return to the living room to watch something with him. We are really enjoying NCIS.

I wanted to note the table quilt I have on our table is one that my sister quilted for me. Isn't just beautiful. The perfect size and we use it at each and every meal. Every stitch is hand sewn by her talented hands.

2 comments:

  1. You poor things! 55 degrees...you must be frozen solid! ;o) We're getting a foot of snow tonight with 50 MPH winds...a real blizzard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a slice of that key lime pie!!! That's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete