Tuesday, August 6, 2013

On Our Way to Boston









August 2nd - On our way to Boston

We left our camp site around 9:30 am on our way to Boston.  The picture that I  posted is of an old Inn that was located at the end of the road of our campsite, I thought it was really interesting and I would have enjoyed seeing the inside of it.

We decided to take Route 20 to Boston as it was suggested by our campsite host and it was a beautiful ride.  We followed it along through some beautiful flat country side that was widely farmed and many family dairy farms.  Some must have been Amish farms as we saw several buggies.  We did note that the corn was not as tall as what my brother is growing behind our house.

Something else that we noted there were many signs where farmers were selling veggies along the road and they were advertising native sweet corn, now Krista does that mean this corn has not been genetically altered?

After lunch, Preston sat in the co-pilot seat and I got out my little Atlas that Susie gave us for Christmas several years ago and followed along where we were going, as we had put our destination into the GPS knowing that Lou wouldn’t stick to it….  For some reason he (Lou) decided maybe they should check out the GPS and see where it would take us now and Preston said we could do that, as it would recalculate the route……, sure it would right back to the original route.  I could see from the Atlas, we were doing some fancy back tracking, but the men seemed to think this was great, so I read my book, enjoyed the beautiful scenery until I looked up and saw a warning sign on the GPS and Lou said “look up there” an overpass that we couldn’t get under, thanks to the GPS we got around it and went on our merry way.  This was near Amherst College, where Michelle’s boyfriend goes to college, so I was glad to see where that is and see the area around it.

We had lunch in Pittsfield, MA and found that is where Moby Dick was written and that is the County Seat of Berkshire County.  Gasoline was $3.47 a gallon and firewood was $230.00 a cord.

We found Northampton to be a very pretty town to drive through with many Victorian homes along their main street, as I said, it was a very pretty drive.

Once we were back on track and arrived at Hanscom Air Force Base outside of Boston, I had them look at the map and think Lou now realizes that the GPS with the RV is the way to go, as we drove over two hours longer than we needed to drive, but we all agreed it was a beautiful drive and we all saw areas that none of us had been before.

No comments:

Post a Comment